Search 1.888.500.1026

Military Students

If you are a veteran or currently involved with the military, we want to extend our thanks to you in the best way we know how: by supporting you during your education, offering our Military Service Award for eligible individuals and making your time at Harrison College productive and rewarding. To find out how Harrison will help you pursue your dreams of gaining a supportive education and getting relevant career experience, explore the links below. 

Important Resources for Military Students

View the links below to explore our military financial aid options and answer your questions about education for veterans.

Military Financial Aid

Education for Veterans Questions

Top Reasons Military Students Choose Harrison

Harrison offers:

  1. Flexible Military Withdrawal Policy – Our policy takes into account scenarios where a military student is called for active duty. 
  2. Military Service Award  This award assists with making college more affordable for active military members, veterans and their spouses and dependents.
  3. Scholarships for Spouses and Dependents of Servicemembers – We do our best to make college more affordable for your spouse and dependents.
  4. Employment Assistance – We are with you every step of the way, providing guidance on identifying your skills and interests, writing cover letters, building resumes, interviewing and starting great careers.
  5. Military Financial Aid Analysts – We have analysts who specialize in Veteran Affairs benefits, and they will guide you through the process of finding a financial solution that works for you.

Veterans Resources

We are ready to assist you as you make the transition from military life back to education and beyond. We have Financial Aid Analysts who are familiar with the Montgomery G.I. Bill and VA educational benefits process. If you would like to speak with a Harrison College representative who will serve as a personal guide to you, please call 888.500.1026.

Below are some resources that we think will help you with your transition into college.

Advantages for Military Spouses

As a military service member’s spouse, you may be eligible for additional help from us through our Military Service Award. Please contact an admissions representative for more information about how we can help you or call 888.500.1026.

Montgomery (New) GI Bill - Chapter 30

You are eligible for this if you:

  • entered Active Duty after June 30, 1985
  • completed at least two years continuous active service
  • contributed $1,200 to the program
  • received a high school diploma or GED
  • received an honorable discharge

Learn more here.

Veterans Administration Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment - Chapter 31

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. The program offers a number of services to help each eligible disabled veteran reach his or her rehabilitation goal. These services include vocational and personal counseling, education and training, financial aid, job assistance, and, if needed, medical and dental treatment.  Services generally last up to 48 months, but they can be extended in certain instances.

Learn more here.

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) - Chapter 32

You are eligible for this if you:

  • entered the military service after January 1, 1977
  • contributed to the program
  • did not contract with the Armed Forces under a delayed entry program

Benefits are dependent upon total contributions made and are calculated individually. No allowance is made for payment for dependents. Active duty service members may receive full VA educational entitlement under the VEAP program. Under specified conditions, participants under VEAP may be eligible to convert their entitlement to the New/Montgomery GI Bill.

Post-9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33

Eligible individuals include those who serve on active duty at least 90 aggregate days beginning on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days of continuous service. Discharged individuals must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible or have a discharge or release for a medical condition Existing Prior to Service (EPTS), Hardship (HDSP) or Condition Interfering with Duty (CIWD). 

Dependents Educational Assistance - Chapter 35

This portion of 38 U.S.C. authorizes educational benefits to dependents and survivors of certain veterans who have serious disabilities as the result of their service, (100 percent disabled) or who have died of a service-connected cause, were a prisoner of war or missing in action. Age limit restrictions may apply.

Reserve GI BILL - Chapter 1606

This is for any person who enlists, re-enlists, or extends an enlistment in the Selective Reserve for not less than six years, in addition to any other period of obligation after June 30, 1985, and completed high school or GED, IADT, 180 days of service in the selective reserve and is satisfactorily participating in required training in the selective reserve.

Activated Reservists After September 11, 2001 - Chapter 1607 (REAP)

Certain reservists who were activated after September 11, 2001 may either be eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Applying for Benefits at Harrison College

The U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs prefers all forms to be completed online in order to ensure timely processing. The necessary forms can be found at the following link by selecting apply online and viewing the first bullet at this location.

If you are a Veteran, Choose ONE of these two applications (22-1990 or 22-1995) based on your answer to the following question:

Have you used your VA education benefits in the past?

If NO, you will need VA form 22-1990 and the following paperwork:

  • If you are on active duty, you need to have your Education Service Officer (ESO) sign your VA application.

If YES, you will need VA form 22-1995 and the following paperwork:

  • Direct deposit can be set up through the Federal VA's National Direct Deposit Program at 877.838.2778.

If you are a Dependent or Survivor of a Veteran, choose ONE of these two applications (22-5490 or 22-5495) based on your answer to the following question:

As a Dependent or Survivor of a Veteran, have you used your VA education benefits in the past?

If NO, you will need VA form 22-5490 and the VONAPP.

If YES, you will need VA form 22-5495 and the VONAPP.

Certificate of Eligibility or Veterans Online Application (VONAPP)

Students who have a Certificate of Eligibility (must specify Harrison College) or a VONAPP can submit one of these forms instead of a regular VA application. However, the supporting paperwork that is needed with the VA applications is also needed with the Certificate of Eligibility and VONAPP. Failure to submit the supporting paperwork with your Certificate of Eligibility or VONAPP will result in a delay of your VA entitlements.

Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Offices

If you do not know which regional VA office processes your VA entitlements, please review their website below to identify which states are covered under their jurisdiction.

Western Region Jurisdiction
Muskogee VA Regional Processing Office
P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

Southern Region Jurisdiction
Atlanta VA Regional Processing Office
P.O. Box 100022
Decatur, GA 30031-7022

Central Region Jurisdiction
St. Louis VA Regional Processing Office
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830

Eastern Region Jurisdiction
Buffalo VA Regional Processing Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616

Ask the Federal VA a Question

Do you have a question pertaining to your education benefits that needs to be answered by the Federal VA? You can now search the Federal VA's knowledge base for your answer. If you do not see the answer you are looking for, you can submit your question directly to the Federal VA via their website.

Requesting a New DD-214

If you have misplaced or lost your original DD-214, you can request another copy from the National Archive and Records Administration for your records.

Credit for Military Experience

Harrison College may grant credit for documented military experience based on the recommendations of American Council on Education (ACE). ACE was created to recognize the educational value of military training and experience and to determine the amount and level of academic credit that should be awarded based on that training and those experiences.

In order to grant credit to veterans based on the ACE recommendations, you must have an official transcript sent from your branch of the service to Harrison College.

Military transcripts typically include documentation of the following along with ACE recommendations for awarding credit for each.

  • Military occupations held
  • Military training courses completed
  • College-level examinations completed including
    • CLEP
    • Excelsior College Examinations
    • Defense Language Proficiency Tests (DLPTs)

Additional Military Tuition Assistance Resources

For more information on tuition assistance in your specific branch of service:

For the National Guard and Reservist: